ST. PETE BEACH, FL — St. Pete Beach has been named the top beach in the country and the fifth best beach in the world by Tripadvisor.
This week, Tripadvisor released its annual Travelers’ Choice Best of the Best Awards for Beaches. Travelers rated St. Pete Beach as the No. 1 beach in the country with Madeira Beach also making the list at No. 9.
The awards are based on the quality and quantity of reviews and ratings from Tripadvisor travelers gathered over a 12-month period. New for 2021, the Best of the Best Beaches also takes into account the volume of “saves” for beaches on Tripadvisor, reflecting the position that many travelers were in for much of 2020 — unable to travel, desperate to explore, lusting after the beaches they wished they could visit.
“Your last trip to the beach probably feels like a lifetime ago, but with vaccine programs rolling out worldwide, safely making that beach getaway a reality just might be in reach,” said Christine Maguire, vice president and general manager of global media business at Tripadvisor. “In fact, a recent Tripadvisor survey revealed that 60 percent of travelers are very likely to take a beach trip in 2021.”
See related stories:
This year, St. Pete Beach was not only the top beach in the United States, but was also rated fifth in the world. Of the 25 best beaches in the U.S., Florida and Hawaii dominated the list, with over 30 percent of the winners located in the Sunshine State and almost 30 percent in the Aloha State.
“We take Tripadvisor’s awards very seriously in St. Pete/Clearwater. We have been home to the No. 1 beach for four of the past six years,” said Steve Hayes, president and CEO of Visit St. Pete/Clearwater. “But after a devastating 2020 for travel, we’re especially honored to receive the Travelers’ Choice Award this year. Our communities, including St. Pete Beach and Madeira Beach, have done an amazing job building these great destinations and keeping their beaches pristine for travelers from near and far.”
3. Moonstone Beach – Cambria, California Travelers say: Beautiful beach and a great place to look for moonstones and jade. Top-Rated Thing to Do Nearby: Cruise down the scenic Moonstone Drive during sunset
4. Wailea Beach – Wailea, Hawaii Travelers say: The walkway along Wailea Beach offers breathtaking views of the Maui coast. Top-Rated Thing to Do Nearby: Makena Turtle Town Eco Adventure in Maui
5. Cannon Beach – Cannon Beach, Oregon Travelers say: Haystack Rock at low tide is incredible with all the tide pools and sea creatures. Top-Rated Thing to Do Nearby: Oregon Coast Day Trip: Cannon Beach and Haystack Rock
6. Napili Beach – Lahaina, Hawaii Travelers say: There’s a small natural reef about 30-50 yards in, and tons of marine life living on it. Top-Rated Thing to Do Nearby: Maui Whale Watch Cruise from Lahaina Harbor
7. Ogunquit Beach – Ogunquit, Maine Travelers say: At high tide you can walk out hundreds of feet and still be only waist high. Top-Rated Thing to Do Nearby: Check out the scenic outlooks of Perkins Cove.
8. Wai’anapanapa State Park – Hana, Hawaii Travelers say: This black sand beach (produced by volcanic activity on the island) is otherworldly along the beautiful coastline. Top-Rated Thing to Do Nearby: Full Day Road to Hana Adventure Tour with Pickup
9. Madeira Beach – Madeira Beach, Florida Travelers say: Very nice, flat beach. You can enjoy a very nice walk for miles. Top-Rated Thing to Do Nearby: Calypso Breeze Daytime Tropical Buffet
10. Kailua Beach Park, Kailua, Hawaii Travelers say: Kailua offers plenty of everything: sand, wide open space, fewer crowds, and a good park to go with it. Top-Rated Thing to Do Nearby: Full Day Kailua Beach Guided Tour To Mokulua Islands
Top 10 Beaches In The World
- Whitehaven Beach – Whitsunday Island, Australia
- Santa Maria Beach – Cayo Santa Maria, Cuba
- Baia do Sancho – Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
- Grace Bay Beach – Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
- St. Pete Beach – Florida, United States
- Turquoise Bay – Exmouth, Australia
- Eagle Beach – Eagle Beach, Aruba
- Spiaggia dei Conigli – Lampedusa, Italy
- Ka’anapali Beach – Hawaii, United States
- Baía dos Golfinhos – Praia da Pipa, Brazil